Twitter

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

I might've given Rand Paul too much credit

Hmm, well I suppose that Rand Paul is in favor of allowing public businesses to discriminate. I think that this is probably against Article I, Section 8, Clause 3 of the Constitution which states that the Federal government has the power to regulate commerce "among the several States," and that discrimination is thus illegitimate for reasons discussed in the Heart of Atlanta Motel v. United States case.

Another reason why I think that discrimination is probably wrong is because, let's face it, many businesses serve the public as a whole, like salons, eating establishments, doughnut shops, delicatessens, etc. Disallowing a certain group of people from entering a particular store is going to have a significantly negative effect on the population as a whole. People forget about the whole segregated lunch counter thing and try to play it off like there's a choice to discriminate. It's my belief that this country should not be ridiculous enough to look the other way as people try to form alliances and in-groups based upon something as ridiculous as skin color. We're all equal.

No comments:

Post a Comment