Twitter

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Pokémon Nostalgia

I was the biggest Pokémon fan back in the good old days. My earliest memory about this game dates back to when I was six years old and playing AYSO soccer when I used to live in the San Fernando Valley. I remember I was chilling out at some benches after a game and some kids were playing Pokémon. I thought it was the coolest thing in the world and couldn't stop thinking about it. I finally got my opportunity to play this game for myself when my parents bought me a Game Boy so I wouldn't be bored when I went up to my grandparents' house near Sacramento, CA. I remember playing the game nonstop for the entire drive up and being so engrossed in the game; it was one of the most exciting experiences I can remember. Part of why it was so exciting was because there was some epic weather happening on the I-5 freeway and it was raining pretty hard while I was playing the game. This ambience must have contributed to my sense of excitement and wonder about Pokémon. At the same time, I began to watch the Pokémon animated series on UPN-13 during the week before I would get driven to school. Then I would wake up at 6:00 and watch several hours of cartoons on KTLA-5 during the weekend. I remember Pokémon was the most hyped show on the entire block of cartoons and came on at 9:30 AM. I used to go to school, go to an after-school program on the campus, do all my homework, get driven home, eat dinner, and then play Pokémon or some computer game for the rest of the night until I fell asleep. It was an obsession. That was nearly all I talked about with my friends for a couple of years (from age six to nine or ten). So naturally hearing these clips on YouTube of the epic Pokémon music from the original Red/Blue/Yellow gave me the chills and filled me with nostalgia. I thought i might share some of these clips with you, and what these clips make me remember.

This is the bike theme. It's a really short, catchy tune that stuck in my head as a kid. Hearing this clip reminded me of the fact that I would always make the bicycle my first item in the trainers' backpack.I could press start, down, down, A, A, and I would get on the bicycle and be on my merry way.


This is, of course, the Pokémon battle theme, played on a piano. There are some mistakes on here, but you get the idea. The piano is making it sound pretty epic, I gotta say.


This was the music that played when you're just starting with your quest. It's really a nice tune that makes you want to continue playing the game. Route 1 is the route between Pallet Town and Viridian City, if I'm not mistaken. This is where you encounter your first wild Pokémon, such as Pidgey and Rattata.


I hoped you enjoyed this trip back in time as much as I did.

2 comments:

  1. We get to relive our childhoods now that HeartGold and SoulSilver are coming out. I'm pretty excited, not going to lie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah it's coming out pretty soon, ain't it? I just need to get myself a DS...

    ReplyDelete